Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Why Tate

Why Tate

See what separates us & what we offer

We provide and protect quality of life for your family.

Allen Tate Insurance is one of the fastest growing independent insurance companies in the Carolinas. As an independent agency, we offer a choice of products from a variety of the nation’s top insurance carriers to provide for and protect your family.

In addition to home and auto coverage, Allen Tate Insurance represents a comprehensive line of personal, business, life, health and long-term care insurance products.

Our professional sales and customer service agents work in teams to design the best plan and pricing for your needs and provide the most personal experience possible. We’re your trusted partner during the home buying process – and throughout your homeownership life cycle.

At Allen Tate, we are real estate. We are insurance. We are home.™

Test Your Insurance IQ

1If my neighbor’s tree falls and damages my house, his insurance pays for it.

You might think so, but it’s actually your homeowner’s insurance that will pay, because it is your house. Insurance will pay up to $1,000 but only if the tree has damaged a covered property due to wind, hail, sleet or snow, or blocks a driveway or handicapped ramp or fixture. It does not cover damage from trees that are dead or diseased that fall on their own.

Correct. His dead tree becomes YOUR problem. The insurance of the damaged property will pay up to $1,000 for trees that have damaged a covered property due to wind, hail, sleet or snow, or block a driveway or handicapped ramp or fixture. It does not cover damage from trees that are dead or diseased that fall on their own.

2If my apartment complex burns down, my landlord will pay to replace my furniture and personal items.

Don’t count on it. Landlords are not obligated to cover the personal property of tenants who rent from them, and most will not. You need renter’s insurance to cover your personal possessions.

Correct. Renter’s insurance should be purchased by anyone who is renting a home or apartment as their primary residence. In the event of a loss, renter’s insurance will cover damages to furniture and personal items, as well as provide funds for other living arrangements if you cannot live in the rented property because of the loss.

3I’m a healthy 50-year-old man so I don’t need long-term care insurance.

Right now, you may feel like you will never need long-term care. But keep in mind that long-term care insurance is to protect your spouse and other family members if you require long-term medical care in your lifetime. Medicare does not pay for most long-term care services, and personal savings are usually not enough in the event of an accident or serious illness.

It depends. Long-term care insurance protects your assets for your spouse or other family members if you require long-term medical care. If you have a family history of certain medical conditions, you may be at greater risk for needing long-term care. An Allen Tate Insurance agent can help you weigh the cost versus benefits of long-term care insurance with your personal situation.

4My insurance could be canceled if I file a claim.

Yes, it can be cancelled under certain conditions. Your premium could also increase, or your rate could remain the same. It depends upon the type of loss and the amount paid.

While we hope that is never the case, insurance carriers do have the right to cancel your policy, depending on the type of loss and amount paid. More likely is that your premium could increase. In some cases, it can remain the same.

5Fine jewelry is covered under my homeowner’s policy.

Your base homeowner’s policy does cover fine jewelry up to a certain amount. However, if you have an item valued at more than $2,000, you should have it appraised and obtain a separate personal articles policy to cover it.

If you are asking about coverage for fine jewelry, it is likely that you have items of greater value than what is covered by your base homeowner’s policy. Ask your Allen Tate Insurance agent if you may need additional coverage for your prized accessories.

6My homeowner’s policy will continue to cover my vacant house while it is for sale.

Yes, to a point. Your current homeowner’s policy will cover your original home for 60 days after you move from it to a new residence. After that, you’ll need a dwelling-fire policy for your vacant home.

Correct. Your current policy will cover your vacant house for a brief period (60 days). But if you have moved and your original home is vacant because you haven’t sold it yet, you need a dwelling-fire policy to protect your home from damage, vandalism, fire or other losses.

7My dog can influence my ability to obtain and quote insurance coverage.

Correct. Certain breeds of dogs are considered high risk and are proven to increase your chances of having a high liability loss. Some insurers will not insure your home if you own a certain breed of dog, regardless of its temperament and behavior history. You may be required to obtain a dangerous dog policy in addition to your homeowner’s coverage.

While all breeds of dogs will not be a consideration for homeowner’s coverage, there are breeds that have been identified to have a high risk of biting. If you have a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd, Husky, Chow or other breed identified as dangerous, you may be required to purchase dangerous dog insurance, even if the dog has no history of biting.

8I don’t need liability coverage on a 10-year old car that is paid for.

Sorry. You are still required to carry liability insurance on any car that is paid for, if it is titled and has a valid license plate. Liability will cover any damage your car does to another car or someone’s property.

Correct. You are not required to carry comprehensive and collision coverage on your vehicle, but you may opt to, depending on the value of the car. You are still required to carry liability insurance on any car, paid for or not, if it is titled and has a valid license plate.

9It costs more to insure a new teen driver who is male than it does to insure a same-age female.

At one time, it was more expensive to insure a new male driver, but the risk has increased for female drivers over time. Teen drivers are four times more likely to have an accident than experienced drivers. Today, it costs the same to insure a newly licensed teen driver, regardless if they are 16 or 18.

Correct! It actually costs the same to insure a new teen driver, regardless of gender. You will pay the highest rates the first year your teen has a driver’s license, but rates will decrease over the next three years if they maintain a safe driving record.

10Bundling your home and auto insurance with the same carrier will save you money.

Absolutely. Most insurance companies offer significant savings if you have two or more policies with the same company. Your Allen Tate Insurance agent can research and present options to offer the most complete, cost-effective option for you.

Actually, it does save you money. And who doesn’t like that? Talk to an Allen Tate Insurance agent about options for your coverage that will put more dollars in your pocket and keep you protected.

Yes No